TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:08:37 +0000
Bob,

Are you looking at 200 Amps of DC power or AC power?  What kind of wire are you thinking of using?

The Keystone parts are only rated for 30 Amps, so you'd need 7 of these for just for  "one connection".  If you cut them down to be SMT capable I would be concerned with the mechanical strength during screw tightening not to mention during operation with minimal vibration.  For this level of current I would opt for multiple ring lugs screwed directly to heavy pads on the circuit board.  Remember that your connection(s) are limited by the current the wire and "connector" can carry.  Ring lugs are typically good for 15 Amps unless you have a huge one that fits onto 3/0 welding cable.  Then you have to think about the amount of copper on the circuit board to handle the 200 Amps.  That is a lot of copper assuming it is DC.  If it is AC or pulsed the rules will change, slightly.

These are common design problems we face daily with our high voltage power supply designs, some have been as high as 52kW.

Phil Nutting