TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:04:01 +0000
Hi Jack-

I think the issue comes down to the generic board stress which comes up from time to time.  It's a complicated situation, and some kind of careful analysis (such as Finite Element Modeling) may be required to see how much bending stress the fastener could generate locally.  Many board mount fasteners only restrict movement of the board in the vertical direction, allowing enough "float" horizontally to allow the board to grow and shrink with respect to the chassis without adding bending stress to the board.

A more common case where closeness to a feature makse a huge difference is with the distance between a firmly mounted component such as a capacitor, and an edge which is going to be cut with a "pizza wheel" type shear cutter.  This process has been known to break even small capacitors.  You could use the same guidelines recommended for that condition to pull parts away from mechanical fasteners and probably be fine even if the fasteners are rigidly anchoring the board down.

So use floating fasteners, or take a chance.  If you have the potential for an extreme case, do the detailed analysis.

Wayne