TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Jim Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:36:17 -0500
Jack,

A few questions to start the brainstorming process:

How large is your board and the spacing between mounting screws?  What
is the board thickness and plating finish?  Any mounting screws in the
middle of the board?  What size/type of hardware?  How is hardware being
installed - larger head driver or screwdriver.  More than one assembler?
Has the board seen any vibration or thermal stress after mounting?  Does
the mounting screw area have top layer clad?  What percentage have
exhibited this failure mode?

100 mils is too close for my liking, but I don't have a good rule of
thumb for you though.

Jim Carlson
Quality/Configuration Manager
L-3 Communications