TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 10:06:28 -0600
Method 2.6.3.5 was a shameless copying of the SIR testing for bare board
fabricators, required in Bellcore GR-78-CORE, as Graham indicated.  At the
time we drafted 2.6.3.5, Bellcore was devoting no technical resources to
that document and was not supporting it, so IPC put the method in place.

Graham, are you certain the SIR test in GR-78-CORE was superceded by
2.6.3.7?  I know the J-STD-004 flux requirements went that way, but this
would be the first that I had heard that Bellcore likewise adopted it.  I
agree that the GR-78-CORE test is quite old, but it was still a pretty
good test to determine cleanliness.  The almost impossibly high levels
were very difficult to achieve if you had any detrimental residues
present.

Doug Pauls