TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:11:36 +0100
There are 5 categories:
1. Dip&Look ANSI/ipc-608, ANSI/IPC-S-805, IEC 68-2-20,
MIL-STD-202,750,883,  EIA-RS-186-9E
2. Rotary dip
3.Wetting balance
4. Globule test
5. Meniscus rise

I presume you use number 1. Now, which one standard? And what do you
specifically test: edge connector fingers, BGA, DIP etc pads, solder mask
capabilty...etc ?

I think Scott's excellent reply gave almost all you need, so I don't dig
further for the moment. However, should you be interested in the
relationship of solderabilty test vs. board soldering performance, I'll
place a Harris Semiconductor report in my DropBox. A real deep look I'd say.

When I worked for Ericsson, we used wetting balance test sometimes, but the
process was too slow. We simply took some 100 boards and ran them through
the line to see how the solder quality was. Myself, I dipped whole boards
into a large pot size 50x60 centimeters.

Inge