TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2013 11:57:13 +0100
Brian,
you are right in all aspects and you are not ranting, rather branding. Read
this EVERYONE and adress following recite from the article into a place in
your brain, a file marked URGENT: *Just five chemicals out of 82,000 known
to be hazardous to human health, for instance, have been banned by the EPA
since 1976*
Thanks
Inge
 Maine Wages Fight Against Toxic Chemicals
by Mercedes Grandin

AUGUSTA, Maine - Hannah Pingree was so alarmed when she learned she had
dangerously high levels of mercury, arsenic and other toxic chemicals in
her body that she took her case to the Maine state legislature and
challenged chemical
makers.<http://www.commondreams.org/archive/wp-content/photos/0725_09_1.jpg>

As the majority leader of Maine's House of Representatives, she sponsored
legislation that gave the state the authority to broadly identify and
investigate "chemicals of high concern" in consumer products, particularly
those that may reach children.

The bill, signed into law in April, makes Maine the first U.S. state with
such authority and could serve as a model for other U.S. states trying to
fill a regulatory void left by the federal Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA).

Just five chemicals out of 82,000 known to be hazardous to human health,
for instance, have been banned by the EPA since 1976, the most recent being
asbestos in 1989.

Maine's law coincides with mounting concerns in the United States over
chemicals found in everyday products, from cars to clothes, and follows
similar European Union laws.

The EU in 1999 banned phthalates -- chemicals used to make plastic more
flexible -- and last year implemented a law known as REACH (Registration,
Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals) that requires businesses to
prove substances in everyday products are safe and submit data about them.

Maine's bill echoes the EU approach. It requires makers of toxic chemicals
to notify state authorities of the quantity and purpose of the chemicals
and work to develop safer alternatives.

Experts are watching to see if Maine's law will lead to tougher measures
nationwide, while an organization representing chemical manufacturers
expressed concern that layers of new state-by-state regulations could hurt
the industry.

Under the law, Maine will test chemicals and issue a "certificate of
non-compliance" to manufacturers stating their chemicals do not meet state
laws. The state can notify retailers the product contains toxic chemicals
and legislation can be approved to ban its sale.

Pingree, 31, was one of 13 people tested in a study sponsored by an
environmental group. All 13 had potentially toxic chemicals in their bodies.

"I just got married last summer and am interested in having kids in the
next few years, and those chemicals could have a dangerous impact on me and
my ability to bear children," she said.

Although it's unclear how the chemicals entered the bodies of the people
tested, mercury, arsenic and phthalates are common in many consumer
products.

"Maine is sending a clear message to the federal government that where they
have failed, states will act," said Pingree, a Democrat.

CHEMICALS FOUND IN BIRDS

Environmentalists in Maine say there is growing evidence that harmful toxic
chemicals are working their way into the state's ecosystem. A study,
conducted by biologist Wing Goodale at the BioDiversity Research Institute
in Gorham, Maine, revealed the presence of more than 100 man-made chemicals
in 23 species of bird eggs from across the state.

Goodale's research provided further ammunition for supporters of the Maine
legislation, revealing that birds were ingesting toxic chemicals through
their food chain and passing them on to their eggs.

Although some chemicals banned in the 1960s and 1970s were shown to have
decreased in birds, new substances are taking their place -- from
flame-retardants to water repellents, pesticides and mercury, the study
said.

Goodale said the chemicals could damage neurological, reproductive and
immune systems of birds, harm their livers and affect their hormone
functions.

Both the human and bird studies showed elevated levels of chemicals such as
the plastic softener phthalates that are used in cosmetics, lubricants, and
wood finishers, and bisphenol A, found in some plastic packaging, including
baby bottles.

Flame retardants known as polybrominated diphenyl ethers, or PBDEs, turned
up in humans as well as birds, the Maine studies showed. PBDE's are used to
make televisions, carpeting, furniture and mattresses.

The studies also turned up a family of perfluorochemicals known as PFC's
used in making upholstery resistant to stains.

A U.S. government study released in April showed that bisphenol A may be
tied to early puberty as well as prostate and breast cancer. Based on draft
findings by the National Toxicology Program, part of the U.S. National
Institutes of Health, senior congressional Democrats asked the Food and
Drug Administration to reconsider its view that bisphenol A is safe in
products for use by infants and children.

Critics say Maine's law could hurt manufacturers.

"It's a high price for Maine to bear to attempt to replicate federal
agencies who are better equipped to deal with these issues," said Roger
Bernstein, managing director of state and government affairs at the
American Chemistry Council, an industry body representing chemical
manufacturers. "It makes more sense to have one federal system."

Other U.S. states have also begun to act on chemicals in consumer products.
Washington state signed into law on April 1 legislation that places
restrictions on the manufacture of children's products containing lead,
cadmium and phthalates.

In February, the Massachusetts Senate approved a bill to identify dangerous
chemicals in household goods, but the legislation has yet to be passed into
law.

In 2007, Washington became the first state to ban toxic flame retardants,
and California banned toys containing phthalates. Lawmakers in Maryland,
Nebraska and Hawaii have been considering bills similar to Maine's
legislation.

*Editing by Jason Szep and Philip Barbara*