TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Bob Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:52:31 -0800
Ray & "the group"---
From our experience DuPont has sufficiently documented grain direction
on their Class 7 RA foils. That being said- grain direction is most
critical in dynamic (constantly flexing) applications; if grain
direction is not specified on the drawing and we are working with the
customer on the dynamic application development- we will certainly
inquire. Most suppliers for flex-to-install applications will quote
based the most efficient panel utilization unless grain direction is
specified.

IPC-2223 (Flex Design) has some guidelines for "Bend R" considerations
which will be updated in the next revision. The "flex forming / install"
configuration is dependent on multiple factors including the length of
the flex service loop, flex thickness and bend radius, type of flex
design for multilayer ("loose leaf" or bonded), artwork layout to avoid
stress risers, etc.  Thin copper in a bonded (read "thicker") flex with
tight bends may not offer sufficient elongation values compared to one
ounce copper (or more) and the associated trade off for the added
thickness,  etc. Check with your supplier for what applications support
they may offer.
Consideration of grain direction is just one factor of many- and is
often not the most important factor.

Bob Sheldon
Technolgy and Engineering Director
Pioneer Circuits, Inc.