TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:50:34 +0000
..........'we' have become complacent and are under the
assumption that all the problems have been worked out..........
.
Well yes and no. I would enlarge that to say: to a large extent the industry
is driven by the tick box mentality which means people just look for a spec
to pass, so they can tick the box.
This makes people more concerned with not being shown to be
wrong rather than being right. Not the same thing at all.
Usually blamed on the litigatious age we live in, but I am also inclined to
think people are forced to protect themselves against the over involvement
of bean counting management.
.
.......Regardless of how much info is out
there - some individuals are doomed repeat the failures of the
past..........

Every generation wants to learn from it own mistakes rather than other
people's. Except the really bright people of course.
.
The upside for technical support guys like me is that once you've learned
the basics you only have to learn the new jargon and apply to old knowledge.
For example
When I started out we used to suck it and see,
Then we got cleverer and did a series of empirical tests
These days we carry out a D.O.E.

The downside is that decades of answering the same questions gets a little
tedious.
Eg What causes white residues after cleaning!

:)

Regards

Mike Fenner
Bonding Services & Products