TECHNET Archives

January 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:11:31 +0100
A reflexion á propos investment. I wonder if american electronic industries
are still slow when it comes to cope with the asiatic countries. I have not
been in a US plant for many years, so hopefully the situation is different
today..When I vvisited TI, MOTA, Harris, Fairchild etc, I was struck by all
modern machines and equipments, but I was struck the other way when I
visited many small and medium sized industries. E.g. a company that claimed
that they were in the front of technology They had the oldest machines I
had ever seen, and a lot of their HiTec was in a huge and dark garage!
Another industry had indeed a modern set of punching, drilling and assembly
line, but the machines stood on the transport blocks still and the floor
was naked soil covered sand! A third large and well known industry had a
reception that reminded of a café and everything was from the WW2 . I
visited a company from which we were going to buy qualified components for
SPACE. The mounting was done on old wooden benches, clean parts mixed with
coffee mugs and caps and clothes. I asked for a microscope   and took some
parts just before they were weld sealed. I found hair from the operator,
small human debris and spill from cakes! I felt a strong conservatism and
suspicion against modernizing. I hope this is not found in today's
USA....can't be any left.

Inge