TECHNET Archives

December 2012

From:
Julie Silk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Julie Silk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 13:42:55 -0600
Getting back to my problem (boy, you guys get sidetracked -- how about starting a VPR discussion under a new thread??)

Wayne, You seem to be the primary person with hands on experience with PtPdAu.  I appreciate the recommendation to burnish, but that's not practical on a surface mount part.  (Maybe a new function could be added to the pick-and-place machine to swipe the part over sandpaper?).  We are using paste with SMT, but that's where we're seeing the wetting problem with the PtPdAu.  We're not on a design that could use gold or welding.  Just trying to solder these things onto a fairly normal PCB.  May well be these are intended for attaching on thickfilm, although the manufacturer claims they are good for soldering (and used by the millions).  We have confirmed that the problem is wetting, not leaching.  Cleaning with solvent had no effect on the wetting balance test.  Our CM didn't have anything to burnish them with (and not enough imagination to find something, or no hardware/auto supply stores in Malaysia?)

A few things in your post that I didn't understand:
"deliberately use an iron tip that doesn't wet well"??
"overlap must be behind a solder dam"?