TECHNET Archives

December 2012

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:09:30 -0500
Hi Ramakrishnan,

I think that a microetch is essential for finding PWB copper cracks.
There is just no way to know if in the polishing you have smeared the
copper and that will give you a false positive reading.

You have to learn how to do the microetch however. Too much of a
microetch and the electroless copper line looks like a crack. Not enough
microetch and there is a possibility of a copper smear covering cracks.

If you want to send me a couple of photos I'll look at them and tell you
if I think the microetch is correct or not.

Sincerely,

Paul Reid

Program Coordinator

PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.