TECHNET Archives

December 2012

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:56:18 +0000
JF,

With the European style terminal blocks that have the protection strap between the screw and the wire it really may not matter.  For the old "American" exposed screw terminals I prefer solid wire or ferrules.  There are those that do not like tinning of stranded wires due to the brittleness at the end of the solder and the possibility of flux wicking up between all the strands.  (many discussions about this in the archives).  My personal preference is to use properly sized and crimped Wago ferrules.  Then there are no stray strands to sneak out and cause problems and it becomes faster for assemblers or repair technicians to put the wires in place.  Another personal preference is to use the spring loaded terminal strips available from Wago, Phoenix Contact and many others.  These make termination very quick and there is no screw to come loose or never get tightened in the first place.  We have used these spring terminals with great success on a 150 pound (68kg) unit that spins 120 times a minute on a gantry with a resultant force of 18 g on the whole system.  No failures!

But then this is my opinion.  I hope this helps.

Phil Nutting  |  Development Engineer   |  Kaiser Systems - now part of Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Office: 978-922-9300 x1310
126 Sohier Rd., Beverly, MA  01915
www.excelitas.com