TECHNET Archives

November 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:07:03 +0000
Hmm.
Yes the thickfilm guys have used Sn/Ag for years, long before it came to be
called Pb-free, and some suppliers claim to have low leach inks. Not totally
familiar with all their products, but I thought these claims related to
silver based products. Au thickfilms are not so common.
No doubt Steve or someone, (missing Inge here), can educate us in this zone.
Back to your mail.
If the pads are not wetting there won't be any dissolution.
I suggest you try some simple, pragmatic tests.
If you have a small solder pot, try dunking the components [with a little
flux] and see what happens. Next:
Gently brighten/abrade the terminations with fibreglass pencil. Or rub
against >600 grit carbide paper (wet and dry at your auto shop),
alternatively a piece of alumina. Then dunk as before.

Best Wishes

Mike