TECHNET Archives

November 2012

From:
Julie Silk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Julie Silk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:53:32 -0600
I have 2 questions about termination finishes on an SMT ceramic component with castellated joints.
One is regarding a Au-Pt-Pd fired thickfilm which was claimed to be suitable for soldering.  Does anyone have experience with this finish?  It seems like a epoxy-bonding sort of finish, and we think we're getting leaching of the metals into the solder joint -- with no remaining connection to the component.
Two is regarding an alternative that plates copper over the Au-Pt that is on the ceramic, then Ag over the copper.  Is 200-400 microinches of copper sufficient in this application?  With SAC solder, there is concern with copper dissolution, but with an SMT process, that should be minimal.  This thickness is below the minimum spec for copper thickness on a PCB after soldering.  But this is a component.  Any input/thoughts on this?