TECHNET Archives

November 2012

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:27:12 -0600
Hi gang! I have been looking for some data and am not having any great
success so I thought I would ask TechNet! I am looking for solder joint
integrity data for BGAs and CSPs where you have a two sided board and the
BGAs or CSPs are "mirrored" (aka side one has a BGA exactly opposite of a
BGA on side 2).  I have found publications discussing the impact of
mirrored BGAs due to rework but I am looking more specifically for the
influence of having a mirrored configuration  (or even a partially
mirrored configuration) on the solder joint integrity in thermal cycle
conditions. There seems to be some industry tribal knowledge that having a
mirrored BGA/CSP configuration causes a degradation in solder joint
integrity but I am not finding supporting data in the industry literature.
If you know of any published papers/reports, please send me the citation
and I can run down the papers.

TIA

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins