TECHNET Archives

November 2012

From:
Sue Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:16:29 +0000
Hi Phil,

In a previous existence I have had to look at this, it was a while back but we were asked to estimate total dose that the part was likely to receive.

As I remember it, it boiled down to a relatively simple calculation (albeit this was only an estimate).

Your x-ray should tell you the Volts and Amps it is using for any given inspection (i.e. power) - the dosage is then proportional to the square of the distance between the source and the object.

For the IC set we were looking at even with multiple inspections through assembly life we were well below 10% of allowable total dose, but I know that on other areas of the hardware there were chips with closer gates and less redundant paths (and so, as I understand it - higher chance of a radiation event causing a latch up)

I seem to remember that in order to back up our estimate we did spend a little time with a total dose meter sat next to an assembly in the x-ray as well.

The stuff I did was quite a few years ago so it's probably worth talking to you x-ray supplier as not only has the technology become far more refined, but I suspect the knowledge will have done too.

Sue Knight
Project Engineer