TECHNET Archives

October 2012

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:53:48 +0800
Phil and Bev

Not necessarily strange.

Phil, you say you passed ROSE test "of course". What is your pass/fail criteria <1.54microgrammes NaCl? If yes, then no wonder it fails IC.

IC is intended to tell you EXACTLY what is on an assembly surface that might be causing an electro-chemical problem …that should have been established as a problem from SIR tests.

If it passed SIR tests, then is that "pesky result" really an issue?

As I have maintained:

Use your ROSE test to control your process - not based upon some spurious pass/fail limit.

Then run SIR

If there's a problem, run IC or FTIR or more to find out what the root cause is.

As regards your control coupon failing - Might I presume that there is a solder resist / mask present on the bare board? In most of our test work it is the bare board that harbours the most problems - get that right, and…bazinga!

Graham Naisbitt