TECHNET Archives

October 2012

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:28:45 +0300
You can't compare an entrepreneur with scientists. Where would you put
Thomas Midgely in your order of things? He was a mechanical engineer but
he revolutionised life for millions (and possibly killed many) in the
'tween-wars by inventing/discovering two chemicals, tetraethyl lead
(TEL) and fluorotrichloromethane (CFC-11). The fact that both chemicals
are banned today for different environmental reasons is not material.

Also the fact that some of the great scientific brains mentioned
assisting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands by work leading up to
and including the Manhattan Project should also be considered.

There are still great theoretical scientists today in various
disciplines. You may here the names of some of them announced this week.

Brian