TECHNET Archives

October 2012

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:04:24 -0400
Some of "panel size tooling" dates back to far simpler days when most laminate was supplied singe sided or double sided.  Laminate came in much larger sheets - sometimes up to 48x72 inches - the press size of the laminate suppliers.  Shops tooled to some sub-set of a full sheet - you can see that 18x24 would give 8 panels exactly from a "sheet".  So, conveyorized equipment, drills, exposure frames, etc all became "standardized" so that they would take the most common "panel sizes".   Board fab tooling retains much of this "traditional tooling size".  However, with so much multilayer production, where the fab shop does much more of the size selection, much is now tradition than strictly economics.

Check back in your supply chain to see what "standard panel size" has been tooled.

Denny Fritz