TECHNET Archives

October 2012

From:
Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:14:07 -0500
I'll agree that the result is suboptimal. You might also want to check the wire diameter against the connector specifications, it seems a little large in the photos provided.

While the IPC documents are great to use as a baseline, your requirements and the requirments of your customer based upon the application and use of the cable should also be considered. The assembly most likely has 3 neds it should satisfy, mechanical strength, electrical performance - conductivity (and lack of conductivity where necessary) and impedance, and reliability/durability of the assembly. You may want to consider whether it will pass pull tests, electrical testing and thermal / vibration profiles.

Blair