DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"McGlaughlin, Jeffrey A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 15:29:58 -0400
Fusible traces can be designed to be consistent and fairly accurate, but more than trace width and copper thickness need to be considered. Are the coated with mask or bare? If they are bare what final finish?  Are they in free air or under a component. Are other circuits routed nearby? Routed over a plane? Layer to layer spacing? I believe there were a couple of other factors we identified but can't locate my notes on this.

As Karl suggest a smt fuse or polyswitch would be a better choice.

YMMV,

Jeffrey A McGlaughlin, CID