DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Morrison, Joe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:21:52 +0000
Jack-
Remember that the assembly strategy will also affect what you want to keep for space between boards & around the edges.  If these boards are going to be hand assembled, then it's no problem to strip off the edges & tabs to the final board shape before stuffing on the parts. On the other hand, if you are looking to utilize automated assembly processes, then there will be a strip of space on 2 edges where the board is riding the rails of the assembly machine - creating areas that cannot be populated by machine. This area is typically .25 inches on each side.
A great graphic for these assembly issues can be found at: http://www.meccompanies.com/white_paper1.html

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Morrison