TECHNET Archives

September 2012

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:55:53 -0500
Hi Phil - one thing  to consider is that many of the impurities are locked
into the dross and do not end up in the recycled/reused solder that you
would put back into the wave solder machine. We have been using a
'recycling boot" for several years very successfully. As others have
indicated, having the impurities measured on a statistical basis is a
critical element of using this practice.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/17/2012 08:56 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Phil Nutting    <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Recycled solder?

Mike,

In all my reading of notes here on Technet and in the trade mags and web
sites we are supposed to monitor our solder pots for levels of copper,
gold etc. that are "stripped off" the boards as they are soldered.  If we
simply squeeze out the "good" solder from the dross aren't we also getting
the higher levels of contaminants that would have been in the solder pots?
 So, do we really consider this recycled solder as pure as the new stuff
that comes from the likes of Metallic Resources, Kester, Alpha Metals, et
al.?

Phil Nutting