TECHNET Archives

September 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:51:22 +0100
Hi Phil
I think it would be better not to think of this as recycling, its not even
re-using.
All you are doing is returning to the solder pot material that you
accidentally just removed a moment ago.
In other words to get the dross out you also tend to remove unoxidized
metal. So it's prudent to squeeze that out from the oxides, spent flux
residues etc that you don't want and return it to pot. This doesn't affect
the metallic composition in anyway.
Thereafter yes you are right, you need to run a continuing check programme
on the metallic impurities and main ingredient balance on the pot itself.

Small aside.
Analysis of the squeezed out solder maybe very slightly different from the
pot, but in reality not much different from your analysis samples as these
also are usually just scooped out from the top of the pot. Sorry to be sound
slightly cynical here :), I'm trying to be a realist.
In truth the absolute amounts of impurity don't matter so much as long as
they are reasonably accurate and consistently taken/done. What you are
looking for is trends and results. You know what your soldering results are
and you can plot those against the numbers from your assays. These will
predict (after the first time or projected to an arbitrary amount) when you
next need to change the solder for impurities, or adjust alloy balance. They
are also your failsafe to highlight a sudden cause for concern.

Regards

Mike
-