TECHNET Archives

September 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:27:06 +0100
Activation temperature is a handy term, we kind of understand what it means,
and use it often. But just talking activation temperature is limiting.
What we are really talking about in this thread is the temperature range
over which the flux is effective in performing its various tasks. Some
fluxes can have a wide application window; others can be focused to give a
higher performance in a narrow zone and so on.
We also have to think of time. How long is it effective for example?  How
effective at its different tasks at different times?
In the case of BI/Sn we are looking at low peak temp reflow and quite
possibly a relatively long (for the peak) reflow time. The lower peak means
a lower energy input to power flux and joint formation. The tin content of
the solder is also low, making it effectively a more dilute solution. So it
it's likely going to do its job more slowly (Bi is a sleeping partner in
this alloy rather like Pb in Sn63c). It may also take longer to cook out the
flux to give acceptable SIR. Some fluxes may require a minimum temperature
to give good SIR and so on. (ref Karen's post).
So as well as moving the flux temp range down, we may well need to make it
so it can hang in a little longer. This is not to say other fluxes won't
work at all, just perhaps not as well. The importance or ranking of these
various factors will be supplier dependent according to how they formulated.

Regards

Mike