TECHNET Archives

September 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:28:18 +0100
I agree with Vlad and David, but not 100% in all circumstances.....
Here's my 2 cent thoughts
First we have to assume that by lead free you are meaning a SAC alloy.
Second we have to recall that eliminating lead was not just about solder but
board and component finishes.
Lastly structural integrity of components and PCB laminate is a separate
issue, but possibly is not significant (any more). [The components maybe
rated for lead free or lead free capable, whether or not identified as such.
Of course you still have to check.] So I'll leave that out and just think
about the joints.

So continuing with components. As an example: Whether for leaded or
unleaded, ceramic C and R probably do have a tin finish because they always
have had one. So they could be no different. Arguably as a "lead free
device" processed at lead free temps, they have an extra margin of
reliability due to less severe reflow profile. I'm not sure what component
manufacturers do with molded or polymer bodied devices. On BGA, do they run
two lines with different resins or just have one body and different balls?

WRT to PCB: ENIG, immersion silver, OSP, etc  are inherently Pb-free and
interchangeable between leaded and lead free, so it makes no difference
whether PCb have PB-free written on the box or not to the joint metallurgy
if you are using those.
HASL finishes are somewhat thicker and have formed solder joints, these
might benefit from further investigation. I leave out immersion tin as I
doubt anyone in high rel would be using it.
So that leaves laminate. Again if you are receiving Pb-free grade material
you could be marginally better off from using in a leaded process.

I imagine the qualifications (and assume these remarks are so qualified)
expressed in articles on this subject are due to the litigation world we now
live in and the fact the authers like me have not run  several 1000 hour of
testing on all combinations of finishes, component types, boards and so
forth.

Regards

Mike