TECHNET Archives

September 2012

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:35:37 -0500
Hi Peter - I agree with Vlad, we still have a mixed metallurgy situation
for the solder joint so I would treat it as having the same solder joint
integrity concerns that would need to be reviewed and assessed.

Dave

Peter Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/26/2012 09:45 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Peter Barton    <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Using Tin/Lead balled BGA in a Lead-Free process

Hi Technetters,

Interesting that this question has arisen for me when there has been a
question posed here on the reverse scenario in the last couple of days.
Firstly, I agree with other posters that full reflow and alloy mixing must
be achieved when using Lead free BGA's in a Tin Lead process. There is
quite a lot of data out there supporting this.

My problem is finding research data on using a Tin/Lead BGA on an
otherwise fully Lead free assembly. This appears to be much more limited.
So far I have only found one paper that refers to this particular scenario
and some of it's conclusions are carefully qualified.

Assuming that all the other the packaging materials for the Tin/Lead BGA
part in question are capable of surviving a suitable reflow process to
successfully solder the lead free parts whilst minimising thermal input,
can anyone out there comment on potential reliability issues. For
information the BGA balls are 63/37 Sn/Pb and the solder paste alloy is
SAC305.

Many thanks in advance,

Peter Barton