TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 08:54:28 -0500
From my experience (and checking through a CAM house that represents many fab partners, and the Valor user group too) REMOVE the board outline from copper and silkscreen layers, but they need it on at least one layer, so the SolderMask layer is a natural choice. Sometimes they will even expand this line so the mask doesn't go all the way to the edge of the board.
I also provide it on the paste screen layers because sometimes only those specific layers are sent to the screen manufacturer (without all the others) and they want to see it.

So, put it on the Paste and Mask layers, remove it from everything else. If your fabricator doesn't want it on the Mask layers, then you will have to provide it as a separate file.

My answers are based on research I did for this article about the CAM process:
http://www.frontdoor.biz/HowToPCB/HowToPCB-CADtoCAM.html

hope that helps,
Jack