TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:22:56 -0500
Hi Joe - John Maxwell beat me to it but the process of soldering a wire to
a surface mount chip capacitor must be done with significant due
diligence. The ceramic body of the capacitor has very poor thermal
exposure robustness and there is a high potential for causing the
capacitor to crack. Here is a link to John's paper "Cracks - The Hidden
Defects" which we give to our new process engineers so they understand how
not to damage surface mount capacitors.

http://www.avx.com/docs/techinfo/cracks.pdf

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Joe Macko <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
08/09/2012 03:18 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to

cc

Subject
[TN] jumper wire attachment to top of chip component?

All,

A question came up about IPC-A-610 acceptability and the feasibility of
soldering a short piece of 32 awg jumper wire to the "top" of a 0402
chip capacitor due to space limitations that I would like to hear input
on and the technical risks. Normally, such jumper wires are positioned
parallel to the longest dimension of the solder land and soldered as
recommended by IPC but in this  case there is very limited space so it
is proposed that the wire be soldered on "top" of the component.

IPC-A-610E, 8.6.1.1 Jumper Wires, SMT - Chip and Cylindrical End Cap
Components states that that this is a " Defect - Class 1, 2, 3: Wire
soldered on top of chip component termination".

I look forward to hearing back from the hands-on experts.  thx

Regards,

-Joe

"This e-mail and any attachments are solely for the use of the addressee
and may contain L-3 proprietary information that may also be defined as
U.S. Government export controlled technical data. If you are an unintended
recipient of this e-mail, use, disclosure or distribution of its content
is prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and immediately