TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:07:15 +0200
On 2 Aug 2012 at 9:43, Dave Schaefer wrote:
[...]
Hmm... I've learned to use a separate layer with board outline only
and to avoid any ambiguous stuff on other layers. Maybe some copper
corner marks for the board corners, but normally no outline on copper
layers.

[...]

> Here's something to ponder ... if your fabricator has a CAM department
> who has difficulty removing a simple unwanted board outline during
> tooling do you really want them building your design?

That's often not the question. If purchase department decides to go
to a cheap but maybe not so smart manufacturer who doesn't care at
all about board outline on all layers (read: CAM ignores them and
keeps them as copper without any requests >> copper chips around
board edge :-( ) we get a problem later. Any alignment features out
of board outline don't harm, no matter whether CAM people use them as
planned or remove them and make something else for alignment. If they
need a board outline and (seldom enough) cannot use the separate
layer with board outline and nothing else, they will (hopefully) send
a request.

I try always to make my CAD data as foolproof possible......

Best regards
Matthias Mansfeld
--
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik
* Printed Circuit Board Design and Assembly