TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:09:31 -0400
There has been only one CFL which has actually saved us money and performed well and that's a very old design with an external ballast which has NEVER failed in 17 years of use, approximately 34 of these devices made by Philips (U-tube 13w 827/2P PL-S type made in Poland) for approx $3.00/ea.  Pairs are plugged into recessed fixtures in the office of my company.  We write on each the installed date on the base with a Sharpie pen (easy to do as its white plastic).  They last typically 5 years and are used 8-10 hours a day x 5 days a week.  They no longer state the lifetime on the boxes they are packaged in.  On the web I found a statement that they last 10,000 hours.  (8 hrs/day x 5 days/week x 52 weeks/year = 2080 hrs/year so the 10,000 hour figure seems to be about right)

They are used in place of standard incandescent lamps which produce much more heat and don't last nearly as long and raise the cost of air conditioning the office (due to the amount of heat radiated).

They are easy to re-lamp (they plug in) and are not at all fragile.  Never have broken one.  We take them to our town's recycling facility to dispose of them; what they do with them, frankly, I don't know (but I'll stop by today and ask).

Also use them in Luxo magnifier bench inspection lamps and there too they have lasted for at least 15 years (of occasional use).

I went to a seminar on the very odd looking new Philips high efficency lamp (the yellow/blue gadget).  I was not impressed.  Its so odd looking I can't imagine putting it in any of my home lighting fixtures.

Oh, and one more item, dimability - there's a nice warm glow from incandescent lamps which are dimmed which CFLs and LEDs can't begin to duplicate. I own an 1878 Victorian home and have reproduction lighting (they look like gas lights) which cannot take CFLs (candelabra bases).  If the incandescent lamps become unavailable, I'm in deep do-do!  Fortunately, I think they will last a very long time as they are normally dimmed and I've found that reducing the voltage even 20% greatly increases the life of the lamps.

I recall that many years ago we owned a condo that had a hanging lighting fixture in the stairway leading to the second floor.  The lamps didn't last and it was a royal pain to get a ladder to safely be placed so I could replace the bulbs.  What to do.... I took the lamp fixture down and inserted in series with the mains hot lead wire a suitably sized silicon rectifier diode which dropped the voltage to 50% (approx), of course, as the result is a half wave voltage.  No more bulb replacements were needed in the 2 years we owned the condo (1974-6).  I'll bet they are still working.

I haven't seen any supply house here in the USA like Leroy-Merlin, which carries such a large choice in lighting. 5 years is half the life they promise

Bob