TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:18:26 +0100
Interesting discussion for the Summer holiday season. My 2cents:
Whether we like them or not, here in the EU they have banned the sale of the
most popular sizes of incandescent bulbs in an effort to force the use of
CFL. This caused people (being people) to stock up with "a life time supply"
of incandescent which probably at least dented any environmental benefits of
reduced energy consumption.
Although the "quality" may not be absolutely high, clearly it only has to be
good enough for the device to function as designed. The early CFL were
pretty naff, but currently they seem to be OK and once they have got over
the installation costs of themselves and their short life ancestors probably
will have some sort of benefit. At least they are not subsidized which
always seems to me to be singularly pointless. Their long life does seem to
hold true, at least if you never switch them off. We have one in our rather
dark hall which we leave on all the time. It has been there for so long I
can't remember. The consumption is low enough that we reason its OK, thus
very adequately demonstrating again how people mess up environmental logic.
Conversely in rooms which have short on cycles we have reverted back to
incandescent as the CFLs fail early.
My ecofriend points out that burning coal emits mercury when you query the
mercury in the CFL, but doesn't have any numbers on the net outcome.
LEDs have a Moore's like Law (doubling in brightness/halving in cost about
every 18 months I think it is) so soon they will be an economical
replacement, thus obsolescing CFL. Already we can buy mini LED spots for
domestic use and replacement apparently fluorescent light tubes which are
actually a glass envelop stuffed with LEDS. These make economic sense in
industrial use already. There are interesting developments also in OLED
light panels for ceiling fixtures which will soon be commercial.

Regards

Mike