TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:07:54 +0300
Shawn
a) The demand for tin is rising, therefore recycled tin would not meet it.
b) It is impossible to recycle tin to 100%. I don't know the percentage,
but it would surprise me if the recovery, repurification and
remanufacture from solder would ever exceed, say, 60%
c) Even with solder, tin is used for other things than electronics,
e.g., plumbing, not falling into WEEE
d) There are many non-solder uses for tin (pewter, wood preservatives,
food packaging etc.), not falling into WEEE
e) WEEE applies only to EU countries. Most large-scale manufacturing
countries of electronics are neither in the EU nor have equivalent rules.
f) Recycling is economically viable conditionally on having a suitable
local infrastructure and a large volume, such as exists in the EU. Few
countries meet these conditions.

 From these points, you will see that mining is, and always will be,
necessary to meet the demand.

Brian