TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:31:53 +0300
OK, Harvey. I read the article, which is emotional, bad journalism, full
of errors and having little credibility, without denying there is a
problem. What do you propose to do about it? Find a tin-free solder?
Somebody died the other day from Salmonella poisoning after eating
contaminated chicken; do you propose we stop eating chicken? 81,649
people died in China and 136,089 in India last year from traffic
accidents; should we stop using cars? The Sayano–Shushenskaya
hydroelectric power station accident occurred on 17 August 2009 when
turbine 2 of the Sayano–Shushenskaya hydroelectric power station broke
apart violently. The turbine hall and engine room were flooded, the
ceiling of the turbine hall collapsed, 9 of 10 turbines were damaged or
destroyed, and 75 people were killed; should we stop using hydroelectric
power?

I agree that it would seem that Indonesian authorities are lax in
applying regulations to illegal mining operations (and in many other
sectors). There is nothing we can do about it, either individually or
collectively. Yes, a 1 kg reel of cored solder may figuratively have
blood on a milligram or two, but it also may contain rosin collected
illegally under uncontrolled conditions causing harm. And what about
miners entombed getting coal? We can't have coal-fired electricity, can
we? Mining, whether coal, gold, platinum (to be topical), iron, tin or
any other mineral, is a dangerous occupation and deaths are inevitable,
even in the best conditions. Some may consider it karma. The risk is
undertaken for human greed. In the case cited, the miners earn $5/day;
as rice farmers in the same area, they would be lucky to get $1/day and
they have to maintain their family and a water buffalo on this. It's a
no-brainer for young people who think they know it can't happen to them.

Brian