TECHNET Archives

August 2012

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:33:39 -0400
Bert,

 I have been doing this Part Numbers stuff for a good 20 / 30 years. I write
a lot of software for CAD to assembly with concentration in the PCB Assembly
and SMT assembly areas.

 Contact me off line as I would probably bore most folks on the list.

Quickly:

You need to consider your users and other company software systems first.
Most CAD tool library management threads have limited intelligence for
sorting, searching and interfacing with out-side system. Purchasing tolls
typically provide better, but still limited functions.

I tend to lean towards using "Abstract" numbers (Example 376892132) instead
of Functional (Example: SMR-5%-0606-5.1K) but using abstract require other
tools have good search and find interfaces. That is seldom the case.
Functional number schemes often "Fail" when different folks start using
different schemes or the initial scheme is not well planned. Either way you
end up with a mess.

Bob K.