TECHNET Archives

July 2012

From:
"Upton, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Upton, Shawn
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:24:10 +0000
On the boards I've been doing I have a mechanical layer (Altium nomenclature) that is just notes; and on that layer I try to explain the usage of the mech layers.  [Mech1 is always board outline for me, mech4 is board outline dimensions, mech7 is FAB drawing notes, etc.]  I think other software packages label files different so I try to spell it out on the FAB drawing that for me anything that is *.gto is top layer silk, etc.  Anyhow, I think it's almost an Altium standard to use mech1 for board outline; and then most users will draw a keepout region inside that to keep parts/traces from getting too close to the board edge (keepout layer not sent to fabricator).

Question in a similar vein: on a FAB drawing what views are good?  I have the standard print showing the drill table with no traces/pads and all the notes; but then I have two more pages showing just top/bottom on different prints, in an attempt to show the board.  Is that useful or confusing?  I figure it helps show the board, if not for the board house then for any user who doesn't have a PCB viewer.  Nobody has ever complained; but sometimes I wonder if when I do something different if it really is right.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc
603.626.2429/fax: 603.641.5336