TECHNET Archives

July 2012

Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:30:25 -0700
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your response.  I will look up the information about SPF.

Regards
Ravinder Ajmani
Principal HW Engineer, Signal Integrity / EMI
HGST, a Western Digital company
Phone: 408-717-7956

5601 Great Oaks Pkwy.
San Jose, CA 95119-1003
www.hgst.com

07/24/2012 08:15 AM

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Alternative to Solder Mask for high-speed interconnects

Ravinder,
You might consider a material from Semblant called SPF.  It is a material
that is vapor deposited and was originally developed as a board surface
finish.  It works well against harsh environments and has the "potential"
for replacing solder mask in sensitive RF applications.  The stuff only
goes on about 40 nm thick.  Hillman and I did an evaluation of this
material as a board surface finish a few years back and Semblant has our
report, which is available.  Read through it all as the material has a few
"quirks".  We evaluated the material between 1 and 9 Ghz and found no
significant effect on signal integrity.

Semblant has offices in Chandler, Arizona.  480.722.1419

Doug Pauls