TECHNET Archives

July 2012

Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:06:52 -0700
Hi Dwight,

Thanks for providing the detailed answer.  This is very helpful.  I agree
that Theta is a very good choice.  My preference is to use 3313.  However
management would like to have other options too.

Regards
Ravinder Ajmani
HGST, a Western Digital company

5601 Great Oaks Pkwy.
San Jose, CA 95119-1003
www.hgst.com

Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
07/20/2012 12:13 PM

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>,
cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Low Loss PCB Material

In that case Theta should be an excellent choice.
At those freq's be sure to spec use of flat glass for less variation
in your circuits. e.g.. 1037, 1078  and 3313 vs 106, 1080, 2116.

There's a competing TUC material that's halogen free and low loss and
shows good rel results.
  Nelco is touting their N4800-20 but I'm not sure if it's halogen free.

In early efforts with Theta I've seen encouraging reliability results
(IST and CAF). Have completed 2 test vehicle evals thus far:
1)  .4mm pitch .170" thick 5 mil (flipdrill) Loadboard. 10 seconds
230C reflow simulation followed by 1000 IST cycles @150C.
2)   .4mm pitch DUT,  1.4mm thick 18 layer (3+12+3 stackup) with uVia
stacked on center core via) ran 1000 cycles @ 150C after 9x 260C 10
second precondition cycles.

YMMV. Results are heavily dependant on specific stackup and
fabricators. So do your own due diligence. There's only a handful of
fabricators we've found who can build either of those two stackups
consistently and reliably pass those IST profiles on conventional
Pb-free material (e.g. FR370HR).

CAF results are heavily dependant on glass styles used and your
design spacings so I'll say less there but will say that Theta has
become a benchmark material for me to compare CAF test results of
other materials too. Again, YMMV.

cheers,
dw