TECHNET Archives

June 2012

Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:13:44 -0700
Diganta
We completely disagree re lead-free solders.  There was no need for it.  Eutectic leaded solder was not a real environmental problem  It was a contrived, manufactured issue promoted by special interests that were motivated by greed

You seem to be completely unaware of the reliability problems that lead-free solder has introduced -- tin whiskers, Kirkendall Effect, dissolution of copper from pads, poor wetting, intermetalics, and now cratering!  Read the IPC TechNet use group blogs from SMT engineers. Their problems are endless. (I know what most of them think about lead-free solders.)

I now look forward to the virtual elimination of all solder paste, including tin-lead, and of SMT for that matter. The "new" manufacturing paradigm will be embedded chips accessed by copper plated vias similar to the Intel BBUL concept, further developed in the Occam Process.  IC density requirements will demand change. Please look at the IC roadmap (ITRS)  and the projections for Moore's Law impact out to 2026!!  The space required by solder joints on top of their unreliability will consign SMT to nichedom.  Check forthcoming SMTA programs. Increasingly people are talking about embedment.

In my opinion, the entire lead-free issue was promoted by the tin miners who created Soldertec.  Kay Nimmo did a great job for them.  But in the end the tin industry will find that they shot themselves in the foot.

A host of opportunistic consultants jumped on the lead-free bandwagon and helped its
victory.  I suspect that the same opportunism may appiy to the counterfeit component issue, at least in part. I am still investigating.

My friends at Cisco and Foxconn (Apple) are not hiding anything when they tell me that counterfeit components are not an issue for them.

By the way, it will be interesting to see how "new" component form factors -- chip passives and KGD actives-- will impact supply chains and counterfeiting. You might look into that potential impact.