TECHNET Archives

June 2012

From:
"Upton, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Upton, Shawn
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:35:43 +0000
I think I am looking for two specifications, actually, or maybe it's in one.

Right now we are having an issue with defects on small copper features, and we're trying to quantify first what a defect is, and then how to specify it out on the FAB drawing.  IPC-A-610 does a good job illustrating what is and what isn't acceptable for assemblies; but I'm not sure if there is one for bare PCB's.  Is there one?

[The issue at hand are some very small pads, on the order of 6mil diameter.  We're pushed into 1oz copper (I usually prefer 2) due to trace clearance constraints, and this is a hard gold application.  We are having issues where the pads are typically chipped, possibly from electrical test of the board.]

Thank you.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc