TECHNET Archives

June 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:47:59 +0100
Dampness will improve the static dissipation properties of the card, for
other properties I offer a personal observation rather than rigorous data:
I own an old car (~50 years) and am always on the look out for what is known
as N.O.S. parts. Especially electrical parts like switches, dials/gauges
etc. For non classic car fans, "NOS" means new old stock. In other words the
parts are also 50 or more years old, but have not been used so are in
original packing - cardboard. [This is not for sentimentality but because
the original old stock is better made than modern reproductions and does
things like work and fit.] Terminations on this old stuff are nearly always
perfectly clean and shiny, although the boxes are usually a little sad.
Soldered joints are bright, but what would constitute tracking (very thing
copper pieces in some gauges) is usually dull.
50 years is about 40 more than the planned storage time and predates nearly
all auto electronics, so can't comment on that. [Although I do have a rather
modern late 1960s early 70s radio complete with push button tuning - string
operated of course!]

Regards

Mike

Bonding Services & Products