TECHNET Archives

June 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:34:18 +0100
From your description you are using water throughout the line and not a
semi-aqueous process. If so, can you confirm your paste flux type? RELO
seems a bit unusual for a straight water wash type.

If you have that excess heat and/or humidity in your assembly area you might
have part of the answer.
Leaving the boards in that environment after applying flux and before reflow
could be setting flux reactions on the tin surfaces but probably not on the
gold. Also if you are batching stuff then this could explain intermittency,
work will be hanging around for short to long times before processing,
giving sufficient variations for stuff to happen.
Possibly the mix of cored solder flux with the paste is a factor (which
might not be the case at lower temps/humidity shorter times).

130F/54C could be too hot and provoke some secondary flux reactions esp.
with delayed cleaning. Some older water wash formulations can give
uncleanable spotting in straight water.

Conversely if the flux is a RELO part cleaned just warming to >70C could
cause the residues to (seem) to disappear. Part removed resin will appear
white  - easily visible - and on warming will remelt to clear. Not so
visible.  This can  also improve cleanability on subsequent processing, it
sort of sets the clock back.

Mixing flux types  from say hand soldering odd forms or through hole parts
even if cleaned and leaving around for a  while before processing and
cleaning again is a good way of making white residues.
If the first cleaning is not 100% but looks OK, then the second cleaning
process can struggle on the modified residues and show them up.

Regards

Mike Fenner

Bonding Services & Products
M: +44 [0] 7810 526 317