TECHNET Archives

June 2012

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:17:36 +0300
Steve

Your answer MAY be in your first sentence! A HI of ~38°C suggests your
RH may be in the 70% or higher region (HI, by itself is fairly
meaningless without knowing the temp as well.) So far, this year, we
have had a HI of 43.4°C for a temp of 38.8°C and a RH of about 75%. A
few hours of that may hydrolyse flux residues to render them insoluble.
If I remember correctly, MIL-P-28809 said that thou shalt clean thy
circuits within one hour of soldering them and not one minute later or
thou shalt be hanged, drawn and quartered, for just that reason.
However, this is not the only possible cause. I catalogue 5 pages of
causes in my book, divided into 5 causal categories. There are 7 bullets
just for hydrolysis of fluxes alone.

If this were the cause, you MAY be able to dehydrolyse the residues by
heating to ~150°C by hot air from a shrinking gun. If the residues lose
their white aspect, you MAY be able to re-clean immediately, but they
may re-hydrolyse.

Brian