TECHNET Archives

June 2012

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 07:29:12 -0500
I have conducted moisture removal rate determination using the methods outlined within IPC 1601 to compare the time required to remove 80% of the saturated weight from a given PWB using a 105 deg. bake versus a 90 deg. bake in a vacuum oven. I actually had to do this twice because a customer did not believe the results of the original bake qualification.
This particular PWB needed 8 hours of baking @ 105 deg. C to get to the 20% moisture level.
It required 7.5 hours of baking @ 90 deg. C. to get to the same level.
So the customer ordered us to run the test again at 105 deg. C in the vacuum oven.
It again required 7.5 hours to get to the same (approximate) level of 20%.
So we had to do this all again using different test specimens (different PWBs).
Same result.

We (and our customer) are now convinced that vacuum baking does very little to decrease either the temperature or the time required. It certainly helps, but not very much.
On the other hand, vacuum baking has been shown to possibly damage the PWBs if not done correctly. This is well documented.