TECHNET Archives

May 2012

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 20:25:13 -0500
Larry,

I'm not sure I agree with your statements.  My two statements which I've been saying for over 40 years are:

1. "Nothing Solders Better Than Solder" and
2. "Nothing Tests Soldering Better than Soldering"

I really don't says these to be funny because for all my experience I haven't run into a situation that disproved either.

The higher melting point of the Pb-Free HASL surface finish shouldn't make it more difficult to solder to the pads.  If the Pb-Free HASL has a SAC composition than the 1-4% silver in the Pb-Free HASL would be a major contributor to contaminating the solder pot.  However, if the Pb-free HASL composition was SN100C I didn't think it would be a major contamination contributor.

My suggestion to Juliano would be to "try it".  If it gives good looking solder joints he might want to do some fundamental evaluations to know they solder joints are "good" but there has been many studies over the years showing that there isn't a reliability issue with mixed alloy solder joints.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Senior Principal Reliability / FMA Engineer
Andrew Corporation - Wireless Network Solutions
40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059
(908) 546-4531 Office (732) 309-8964 Mobile