TECHNET Archives

May 2012

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 09:58:39 -0500
The only criteria is the hole-fill criteria for Class 1,2,3. Class 3 requires a 75% minimum hole fill with good visible wetting around 360 degrees. Does this mean that large voids seen in the X-ray imply that the 75% minimum hole fill was not achieved, even though a good top and bottom fillet exists? It can be argued that the hole fill did not reach minimum requirements.
While I sort of agree with Dave Hillman that if you have good top and bottom fillets no reliability issues exist, I also agree with Gebhard that the cause of the voiding could be insufficient copper buildup in the hole.
If that is the root cause of the voids, then the reliability could very well be impacted, because without complete solder fill an open could occur in the hole wall breach if it is in an area at an innerlayer trace junction with the barrel.
However, the presence of both a good topside fillet and bottomside fillet with large voids is unusual. Usually some type of pinholes or open voids in the fillets occur. So I am guessing that there is a possibility that the topside fillets were soldered manually first, and then the bottomside solder cannot flow up into the hole due to the gas seal.