TECHNET Archives

May 2012

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 08:12:01 -0500
Hi Craig! One of the downsides of now having access to Xray inspection
technology is that we can see many "things" we never could before - which
now causes the question "is that bad?". There is currently no plated thru
hole void criteria in the IPC JSTD 001 specification. I would recommend
that an assessment of  the assembly be initiated. Pulling and inspecting a
number of assemblies that either have been in the field or have passed all
of the qualification tests will demonstrate what level of voids typically
exist and if that level of voiding is a reliability issue. The presence of
voids is not necessarily an indication of a reliability issue. Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Craig Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
05/16/2012 07:14 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Craig Sullivan  <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Through hole barrel voids

Hi everyone,

We have a certain board with several through hole connectors. The customer
has provided us x ray images showing voiding in the barrels. Fillets on
both
sides are acceptable, and the solderability tests are ok. This seems to be
isolated to this board because random sampling on other boards shows
virtually no voiding. The only voiding "criteria" I can find is related to
BGAs. Is there any published criteria / reference material for this type
of
defect?

Thank you,

Craig Sullivan