TECHNET Archives

May 2012

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2012 12:49:32 -0400
Doug,

 The idea that HASL was/is associated with residues on test probes makes no
sense to me. Flux and board cleaning, now that is an issue.

 I have a Z-1820 ICT machine and I use only HASL PCBs. The only residue I
have ever heard of being a problem on test points is flux residue. And,
without a doubt flux can be an issue.

 Flux is not a problem on most test points as the shape of the probe is
often one with sharp points and steep sides. They go through flux fine. When
you probe gold fingers you might have rounded end probes and any residues
there are a problem. But you should not have residues on gold fingers in the
first place.

 I tend to be in a minority as I prefer HASL to other finishes. Reflow is
fantastic, flatness is not an issue as stencil printed paste goes over the
raw pads. Nickel is just not as easy to solder to as solder coated copper.
No one ever got "Black Pad" on HASL.

Thanks,
Bob Kondner