DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 14:38:26 +0100
Nowadays I use Pulsonix which surprised me a when I first learnt it as I'd not heard of it before starting the new job so wasn't expecting much but it's very easy to pick up and use and can cater for users across a spectrum of experience and requirements.  Out of the box it appears to be very simple but can be very easily tweaked to become more powerful.

Like most designers I think it's good to have a look at all the packages and their demo versions from time to time and have a quick play, such as Cadstar, Orcad, PADS etc.

Previously I used CADSTAR for DOS at Uni.  Nice for its time.  Then a couple of packages I doubt many of you would have heard of.  ECSAS which was nothing really more then a "dumb" vector drawing package for circuit diagrams and PCBs that ran on Sun SPARC stations, used wire-frame graphics, had no schematic-linking between schematic and PCB editor, and no net list.  Surprisingly Toshiba insisted on using this for designing consumer goods including televisions right up to 2000!  They'd been using it unchanged since the 1960's!

The next package, (2000 to 2004) was a high-end package called SFX from a company called Cadix that was then bought out by Mentor Graphics.  They bolted RE on to it becoming SFX-RE.  It was nice to look at, powerful, and a high-end package, but lacked stability and had some major flaws in usability and features.

Regards,

James

James Head BEng CID+ MIIE MIET
Senior PCB CAD Engineer