DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 17:48:23 +0000
From:
"Morrison, Joe" <[log in to unmask]>
Bill-
About 15-20 years ago, I did a similar type of study for our CAD group within IBM. While the tools & costs have all changed significantly over that time, there is one piece of information that we determined that I still believe is valid - the total cost of ownership to actually begin doing successful PCB designs with a purchased tool will be about 10x the purchase price of the software.  This included purchase, maintenance, training, libraries, process development, interfaces, etc.  The time to first design depended on whether the design group is starting from scratch or if there is a need to make legacy libraries & designs available for reuse in the new system.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Morrison
Distribution Technologies Software Engineering
Lockheed Martin MS2
1801 State Route 17C
Owego, NY 13827

607-751-7921